Thank you for choosing to Keep Your Dough in Durham this Holiday Season by patronizing Locally Owned, Independent Businesses in your community!
Our 6th Annual Shop Independent Week is bigger and better than ever, with over 50 of your favorite local businesses participating! We’ve listed all the Sales and Promotions below, AND provided a shopping guide that you can download and print – that way, you won’t miss a special! Happy Shopping!
Promotions and Specials are only good during the Shop Independent Week (11/28 – 12/6) and you must follow the guidelines for each business as listed.
Download and Print Shop Independent Durham Week Promotions and Specials Here:
including Beer & Wine, Books, Clothing, Crafts, Gifts, Garden, Fine Jewelry
- Barnes Supply Company: Mention Shop Independent Durham Week and receive 10% off anything in the store. (Can’t be used toward Frequent Purchase program) and buy a new feeder and we’ll fill it up with seed.
- Beer Durham: Mention Shop Independent Durham Week and receive 20% off any Beer Durham logo item (t-shirt, growler, pint glass, etc.).
- Bull City Craft: Free mini-canvas with any purchase.
- Bull City Homebrew: Mix and match – buy 2 or more beer or wine ingredient kits and get 15% off each kit. 10% off all equipment kits. More sale items everyday! Come into to the store to find out more.
- Bull City Running Company: All week: 20% off all Winter Apparel.
- Cozy: 20% off any single item during the entire Shop Independent Durham Week.
- The Glass Jug: For the entire week, The Glass Jug will feature 10% off all apparel and branded merchandise, including t-shirts, glassware, bottle openers, coolers, growler koozies, and our ever-popular holiday-themed sweatshirts.
- Happymess ART: 20% off entire regular price purchase and daily art demos.
- High Strung Violins & Guitars: Free kazoo with any purchase during Shop Independent Durham Week.
- Horse & Buggy Press: 20% off all fine press books including Maji Moto: Dispatches from a Drought, photographs and lyrical prose by Courtney Fitzpatrick, Roses: The Late French Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke, Translations and Essays by David Need, Drawings by Clare Johnson, Muse: Photographs by Gail Goers, and Photourist by Andy Gershon.
- James Kennedy Galleries: 15% off all jewelry.
- Letters Bookshop: Bill Smith’s new cookbook Crabs and Oysters is 20% off all week.
- Morgan Imports: Drawing for 1 of 2 $46.00 gift certificates to celebrate our 46 years in business in Downtown Durham. We’ll be serving “A Cup of Tea” on Sunday Nov 29 3:30-5 pm and doing daily drawings of gift baskets.
- Not Just Paper: 20% off clear plastic beverage ware: tumblers, wine & champagne glasses, punch cups, coffee cups, martini and shot glasses. Buy one get one free -16oz. plastic cups (50ct pack).
- One World Market: Free Bull City ornament with $100 purchase just mention Shop Independent Week.
- Pine State Flowers: 15% off all handmade wreaths – open Fridays and Saturdays from 10am-6pm.
- The Regulator Bookshop: All week long we will be offering 20% off on dozens of great, giftable books, and we will be raffling off $100, $50, and $25 gift certificates.
- Smitten Boutique: You will receive a gift with any $50 purchase and refreshments daily between November 29th through December 6th.
- Vaguely Reminiscent: During the entire week, customers who spend $25 or more will receive a free gift. All of our purses will be 20% off of the marked price and customers who mention Sustain-a-Bull will receive an extra 5% discount on purses.
- Vanderwalker Design: 15% off all week! Use coupon code sustainabull15 when checking out on vanderwalkerdesign.com, or shop on Sunday Dec 6th in person.
- Vert and Vogue: Spend $100 or more and get a free pair of colorful organic cotton socks. Ethically produced in wind-powered factories, each pair helps improve the lives of farmers and workers. Offer is valid at both our Brightleaf Square and Five Points locations from Saturday, November 28th to Sunday, December 6th.
- Wentworth & Leggett Books: Any single item (Book, Map or Antique Medical Print), group of postcards, or regular antique prints or vintage magazine ads priced between $20 to $49 will be 10% off; priced between $50 to $99 will be 15% off; price at $100 or more will be 20% off. *Locked display case items will be 10% off only. Be sure to enter our drawing for a $25 gift certificate There will be two (2) winners! (no purchase necessary)
- Wine Authorities: Up to a quarter of our wines will be available at 20% off per bottle, or further discounted to 25% off if twelve or more of those selections are bought at the same time. In order to get this Sustain-A-Bull discount, customers will need to do a “bull horns” hand signal at check-out.
- Zola Craft Gallery: Sustain our Bull City artists! During Shop Independent Durham Week, you’ll get a 15% discount off any one item priced $50 or more. You’ll also have the chance to win a handcrafted treasure from one of three talented Durham artists. Each time you come to Zola during Shop Independent Durham Week, you can register to win a pair of colorful porcelain earrings from Blue Bus Studio; a whimsical porcelain cream and sugar set from Trout Ceramics; and a ceramic pitcher from Matt Hallyburton, whose work is rooted in western North Carolina’s rich pottery tradition.
Restaurants, Coffee Shops, and Sweet Treats
- Bean Traders: All week long we’ll have 20% off beans.
- Blue Corn Cafe: Free chips and salsa with a purchase of 2 or more entrees from lunch or dinner menu. Valid only Monday 11/30 through Thursday 12/3. Book a reservation of 8 or more people and receive a platter of plantains for the whole table to enjoy. This requires a reservation and to inform the host that this is the offer they are booking for. This offer will be good all week as long as we can accommodate the seats.
- Cocoa Cinnamon: Get a size bump up on any menu drink when you Shop Independent Durham.
- Cuban Revolution Restaurant: Free With Purchase…our famous Housemade Chips and Mango Salsa. Offer good for last three days of November only: November 28th, 29th and 30th.
- The Cupcake Bar: Holiday Order Discount: On Saturday 11/28, place your holiday cupcake order for any future date and we will discount it 10% (save up to $15 off your order). Orders must be placed in-person or by phone for pick up or delivery on 11/30 or later.
- Elmo’s Diner: We will be holding our 2nd Annual Elmo Duck coloring contest. There are prizes offered to various age groups. Entries can be placed in box in Elmo’s foyer all week long until end of business day on Sunday Dec. 6th.
- Joe Van Gogh (Broad St., Science Dr, and Woodcroft Locations): 10% off all week on Joe Van Gogh merchandise, coffee beans, and all coffee brew gear! Valid only on in stock, in store items. **Excludes our limited supply coffees of Ka’u and Panama La Mula Geisha**
- Pop’s Backdoor Pizza: FREE fountain drink with the purchase of any sandwich and side. FREE 10″ cheese pizza with the purchase of any 18″ specialty pizza or calzone (one free pizza per order/per customer, no substitutions). Must mention this ad to get deals. Both deals are available during the entire Shop Independent Durham Week.
Health, Fitness, and Beauty
- 140 Salon and Drybar: Offers good all week:
- Enjoy a complimentary take home product with purchase or a complimentary sample size product just for stopping by to say hello.
- There will be complimentary finger foods, mimosas and other beverages for guests.
- Enter a raffle for a complimentary makeover, including cut and color, as well as a make-up instructional session.
- For our men- enter a raffle for six complimentary haircuts during the 2016 year. Makeover and haircut package to be awarded on December 10th.
- Waxing services will be 50% off and all retail will be 20% off.
- Crossfit Durham: All week long, 20% off first month of all new memberships.
- Empower Personalized Fitness: ‘Tis the Season and we are feeling Merry! Purchase a 5 Class Pass for ONLY $50 (a $35 savings) AND receive an additional 5 Class Pass to be gifted to a new-to-Empower friend when you attend your first class! Promo Code: SHOP-INDY
- KKJ Forensic and Psychological Services: Individuals, couples or families who schedule an appointment by December 11, 2015 will receive a free telephone consultation and 20% off of their initial intake with Jessica Middleton, MA, LPC.
- Mid-South Fencers Club: Mid-South Fencers Club is offering two FREE community fencing classes. Join a Mid-South staff member for a brief intro to fencing that includes a tour of the facility, learning about the different types of Olympic weapons and even test your hand with the sword! Open to ages 7 and up, families welcome. Please wear clothes you can move in and toe-covered shoes. Sessions are: Friday November 27th from 9am – 10am and Wednesday, December 2nd from 8pm – 9pm.
- SYNCSTUDIO: BOGO 1/2 Off Memberships, special class rates, and “bring a friend” special.
- Rapid Results Fitness: Good all week long: sign up for a FREE jump start class (Intro class to Kettlebell training) and first month of unlimited classes FREE when you commit to three month membership.
Bed and Breakfasts
- Morehead Manor Bed and Breakfast: Share a piece of Durham with your family & Friends or enjoy it yourself. Morehead Manor is offering gift certificates at 10% off for every $100 you spend.
- Broadway Veterinary Hospital: Pet Odor Exterminator Candles are 2 for $15 (regular price $9.95 each).
- Park Vet Hospital: All week long: A free bag of canine or feline treats with every exam.
- Southpoint Animal Hospital: Paws for a minute…..we bet you have a lot of friends who have loving pets! Have you ever thought about purchasing a veterinary service or boarding gift certificate for a friend? You will also receive a complimentary bandana for your pet! While supplies last. Good for Saturday 11/28/15 through Friday 12/4/15. Make it a great week while visiting small businesses that make a difference in Durham! Gift Certificates: $5/$10/$15/$20/$25.
- 9th Street Computer Cellar: 15% off labor, just mention “Shop Indie”. Offer good all week.
- APlus Test Prep & Academy: Free Study Plan Class – December 5, 2015.
- BWPW Photography: 20% off all Portrait Packages all week long! Must book package during Shop Independent Durham Week and complete photo session by December 31st.
- Hansell Painting Company: Receive 10% off when you book an interior paint job to be started between December 28th – March 1st. This discount is good for current customers who have already received quotes. Promotion is good for the entire week of Shop Independent Durham Week.
- Lucie’s Home Services: $20 off your initial deep cleaning when you mention Shop Independent Durham Week.
- Lazarus Financial Planning: To celebrate 2015 Shop Independent Durham Week, Lazarus Financial Planning is offering a limited number of 2016 Cash Flow Consultations for a 15% discount. The discounted Cash Flow Consultations are available only from January – March 2016. To qualify for the discount, you’ll need to book your CF Consultation between November 28-December 6th. Please read about the Cash Flow Consultation at www.lazarusfp.com/cash-flow, then schedule the initial phone inquiry on the Get Started page.
Thank you for supporting Shop Independent Durham Week! Want to learn more about Sustain-A-Bull and supporting small businesses? Read below!
What is Sustain-a-Bull?
Sustain-a-Bull is Durham’s non-profit independent business alliance, which promotes and supports locally owned, independent businesses in our community based on the belief that independent businesses are vital to Durham’s economy, culture, and environment. Sustain-a-Bull is affiliated with the American Independent Business Alliance’s (AMIBA) network of over 75 similar organizations around the country which work together to help locally owned businesses thrive in the communities that they serve.
What is an Independent Business Alliance?
An Independent Business Alliance (IBA), such as Sustain-a-Bull, works to build vital local economies based on independent, locally-owned businesses and help local entrepreneurs compete successfully against chains, online competitors and others. Sustain-a-Bull unites locally-owned independent businesses, citizens, and community organizations to achieve this goal.
We focus on three main areas in our programming: public education about the greater overall value local independent businesses can provide as well as the vital economic, social and cultural roles that they play in our community; facilitating cooperative promotion, advertising, purchasing, sharing of skills and resources and other activities to help local businesses gain economies of scale and compete more effectively; and creating a strong and uncompromised voice to speak for local independent businesses in the media and local government.
Independent businesses in communities with an active “buy local first” initiative run by a local business organization – such as Sustain-a-Bull – reported an average revenue growth of 8.6% in 2012, compared to 3.4% for those in areas without such an initiative. In a recent survey from the Institute for Local Self Reliance, 75% of survey respondents in cities with a “buy local first” initiative reported that the initiative had had a positive impact on their business.